Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What's up, Doc?

Or should I say nurse? In all reality, nurses probably know more than doctors.

But I'm getting off point...

Since I was diagnosed with PCOS last summer when we weren't trying to conceive, I was being treated for it with hormonal birth control. When we decided to ditch The Pill, I wanted to take one cycle to see if I would ovulate. And so began temping and charting. And charted and temped, I did. For what seemed like f-o-r-e-v-e-r! Fertility Friend faked me out multiple times by giving, moving, and taking away cross-hairs. I was about 17dpo when I called my doc (or rather, the physician's assistant that I see) about starting Provera to end the cycle. I'm still not even sure that I did ovulate last cycle and apparently, neither was FF, hence the dotted and not solid crosshairs.



When I called about the Provera, I told the office that I was TTC and that I had been having difficulty in losing weight. (Losing weight is said to be the best thing for women with PCOS and that losing some poundage can jumpstart ovulation.) And so I inquired about Metformin. I have read so many things about metformin and it really seemed worth a shot. It helps women lost weight and can help you ovulate. I really wanted to at least try it before moving to Clomid, which is a serious drug. My MIL took it for a week and had quintuplets!

They were very resistant to it, but agreed to test my insulin. I called for the results today and was told they were normal. The first nurse I talked to was kind of rude and just said they were normal (74, whatever that means!). I was bummed. I really wanted a plan and waiting a year when I really don't think I ovulate seeemed like torture! So, I decided to move on to an RE. Until I received a follow-up call from a different nurse in the office who told me that even though the blood test was normal, to schedule an appointment with a physician if I am not pregnant in 2-3 months.

FINALLY! It seems like we have a plan! Hopefully this plan won't include putting me on Clomid right away. And I'm excited that it will be with a physician. I really like the PA - I've seen her for my annual paps and am comfortable with her. I just don't think she is the best person to talk about treating PCOS and getting pregnant.

Here's hoping that I won't NEED to schedule an appointment to get knocked up. It would be awesome if I had to schedule an appointment because I WAS knocked up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment